Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Painted Crown (Unbreakable Soldiers 2) by Megan Derr


Prince Istari has spent his life reviled: his parents wish he had never been born, the royal court of Belemere avoids him for fear of angering the king, and everyone else is kept away by his notorious reputation as a deadly sharpshooter. Now a hostage of peace in Tallideth, he is subjected to their hatred as well—even that of Regent Vellem, who once considered him a comrade in arms.

Unexpected solace comes in the form of Lord Teverem, a sad, quiet lord who assumed the title when his brother was killed in the explosion for which Istari's father is to blame. He is kind and sweet and a sorely needed bright spot in Istari's life—until Istari meets his family and learns of a dangerous family secret with unexpected ties to Istari's past, a secret that could drag Tallideth and Belemere right back into war…

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
My Review:     (Thanks to NetGalley) 

I love Megan Derr and I've always been quite vocal about it, however I feel like this book was a bit of a let down, especially as I read it straight after re-reading The Engineered Throne which was amazing. 

There was lots of running around but not much story and we weren't given much chance to connect to any of the characters other than Prince Istari. I would have loved to have seen some of the story from Lord Teverem's point of view, after all it was his life that was getting thrown around.

The ending was a bit queer though. Without giving spoilers away, the premise at the start was to marry Istari and Teverem so to protect someone. Then there was issues with the marriage being legal. When that was solved no one was concerned about it, as if the legal protection issue no longer had a point, but it did. Add in a couple of minor editing errors (names changing, etc) and I just didn't enjoy this as much as I normally do.

Still it was a Megan Derr story and I will continue to devour those as fast as a I can, because for every couple of 'okay' books she comes out with, she always seems to produce an amazing one. And those are the ones I live for.

No comments:

Post a Comment