Sunday, January 14, 2018

Murder Borrowed, Murder Blue (Wedding Planner Mystery 3) by Stephanie Blackmoore


A celebrity couple getting hitched on Valentine's Day would be a big boost for Mallory Shepard's wedding planning business, but someone's got cold feet: a corpse . . .

Actress Dakota Craig is set to tie the knot with her famous musician boyfriend at Mallory's Pennsylvania B&B on the most romantic day of the year. Best of all, the whole thing will air on the reality TV show I Do. But the maid of honor has dropped out of the wedding party--by dropping dead.

A lot of people insist the show must go on, so Mallory's investigation keeps getting sidetracked by everything from a meddling mother to a foot of snow to a side project making arrangements for a high school Winter Ball. But if she doesn't catch the noxious culprit, the bride might wind up with a funeral wreath instead of a bouquet . . .

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
My Review:     (Thanks to NetGalley) 

I've read (and reviewed) the first two books in this series, and while I've enjoyed them, I can't honestly say that I would buy them. 

Minor Spoilers Ahead

This book has so many red herrings (and false arrests) that I felt like I was in a fish farm. I can understand one or two maybes, but setting up a culprit, explaining how they fit the crime, arresting them, and then being wrong multiple times is just irritating. Not to mention, when we do find out the identity of the actual killer the reasoning is a little far fetched and feels like an add on just so the author can be 'clever' with a murderer that no one will guess. Well der, we won't guess right when you've spent the entire book giving clues pointing to literally everybody else and then giving the 'real' reason in the last couple of pages completely out of the blue.

The writing was good and I liked the setting but all the characters were flat and lifeless, not just the dead ones. And what is going on with the 'romance' between Mallory and Garrett? I get that this is a cosy-mystery and not a romance, but these two have been 'together' for a year and I would see more connection between 2 people passing on the street. They hardly interact and the only physical contact are kisses to the forehead, holding hands, etc. Are they adults or 8 year olds in their first playground romance?!

The whole series is becoming a bit stale with the same premise happening again and again with no personal or relationship growth happening for the characters. I'll read the next book if I can get it for a free review, but only because the preview chapter of book 4 at the end of this one makes me want to get to know Becca's grandma. Sweet old lady who's willing to deviously trip Helene into a pool? Sounds like she should be the new MC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment